On a cold day in January I sat at my computer and decided it would be a great idea to register for the Broad Street Run. After 2 hours and multiple browsers I officially became a member of the 2012 Broad Street Run. What was I thinking? I have never run more than 5 miles in my life, and it might actually be more like 4.5.
Let the training begin. I started training at 4 miles and immediately again thought I was insane. How could I possibly run 10 miles. My back hurt, my legs hurt, my feet hurt and I was popping Advil like a champ, but I didn't give up. I got up to 4.5 miles and thought to myself again, I was crazy!! It took everything I had to get to 4.5 how was I getting to 10? I am slow as a turtle and there was no way I was running 10 miles in 2.5 hours, I had visions of getting swept off the course and onto the Subway to make it to the end; how humiliating would that be?
I still continued on the training path and made it to 5!!! I almost cried that day and might have shed a few tears, I actually for the first time thought WOW, I can do this. I am 1/2 way there, I can do it. I continued on my training and focused on adding every week and learned my own personal running rhythmn. I can not run too many days / week or my legs just won't go, I had to keep my long runs to once a week and supplement with 3-4 miles in between. I set goals every week and I kept myself to them. I was up to 6.5 miles! Who knew I could really do this? I am still slow as ever, but I had resigned myself to distance over speed and I was below the minimum of 15 minutes / mile needed to finish in the 2 1/2 hours.
Up to 8 miles!! I was so proud and astonished at myself and I'm sure my friends were tired of getting my running distance text messages, but I honestly never thought I would make it that far.
9 miles - Rocky Run and boy I could have gone further so I was feeling again that I could do this. My last runs were in Jacksonville Beach while on vacation. My last 9 mile run was miserable, but I did it.
I had my running belt, my sparkly sweaty band and I was nervous nervous nervous. I put my hoodie up on the bus, ear phones in and zoned out. I changed my shirt at least 3 times deciding if I was going to be hot or cold. Then, I started to run. I kept a comfortable pace, I rounded City Hall and I crossed the finish line! Not only did I finish, but I beat a time I thought was a stretch time - WOW!!! I can't wait for next year.
Did I mention I signed up to do a 1/2 Marathon? Let the training begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment